|Net Worth||$30 million|
|Date of Birth:||October 7, 1955|
|Height:||5 ft 10 in|
Yo-Yo Ma considered one of the greatest cellists of all time, Yo-Yo Ma is a master of his instrument and has achieved unparalleled success as a soloist, chamber musician, and orchestral leader. He has received numerous prestigious awards, including 18 Grammy Awards.
Yo Yo Ma Biography:
French-born American cellist Yo Yo Ma was born on October 7, 1955, Paris, France is regarded as one of the most technically skilled cellists of all time. Yo Ma was known for his exceptional technique and deep sound. His numerous collaborations with musicians and artists from various genres, cultures, and media have revitalized classical music and broadened its audience.
He has recorded a wide range of folk music, including American bluegrass, traditional Chinese songs, the tangos of Argentine composer Astor Piazzolla, and Brazilian music. He’s worked with artists from various genres including Bobby McFerrin, Carlos Santana, Sergio Assad and his brother Odair, and James Taylor. Ma’s main performance instrument is a 1733 Montagnana cello worth $2.5 million.
Yo Yo Ma Early Life/Personal life:
Yo-Yo Ma was born in Paris, France on October 7, 1955, to Chinese parents who had escaped from the Communist regime in Beijing. From his earliest years, Yo-Yo showed prodigious musical talent. He began learning to play the violin when he was two years old, then switched to the cello at four and he’s said to have memorized three of J.S. Bach’s solo suites in a year. As a youngster, he moved from Boston to New York and caught the attention of Leonard Bernstein, Isaac Stern, and other musical personalities. By the time he was six, he had won his first international competition.
Yo Yo Ma Professional Career:
- In 1979, he made his solo debut with the Boston Symphony Orchestra at the age of 23 and soon thereafter rose to international prominence as one of the foremost cellists of his generation. Over the course of his career, Ma has performed with some of the most celebrated orchestras in the world, including the New York Philharmonic, the Philadelphia Orchestra, and Los Angeles Philharmonic. He has performed with numerous other artists as well, appearing on over 100 albums.
- Yo-Yo studied at Julliard with Leonard Rose and began performing professionally while still in his teens. In 1978 he won the prestigious Avery Fisher Prize and soon became known as one of the world’s leading cellists. He has since collaborated with some of the most respected names in classical music, including Isaac Stern, Pinchas
- In 1985, he received his first Grammy. He has released more than 90 albums and won 18 Grammy Awards.
- His 1997 work for John Williams' “Seven Years in Tibet” was his first appearance on a Hollywood soundtrack, although he had made several previous appearances.
Yo Yo Ma Facts:
- In Chinese, “Yo” means “friendship.”
- He attended Harvard, where he earned a Master of Arts degree in 1976. He won the Avery Fisher prize two years later and has been collecting awards ever since.
- He has won 18 Grammy Awards and a slew of other prestigious medals and honors, including the National Medal of Arts (2001) and the Presidential Medal of Freedom (2011).
- Yo-Yo Ma is a world-famous cellist and a major donor to the Silk Road Project.
- In 2006, Yo-Yo Ma was selected as a UN Messenger of Peace.
- He has made several appearances on Sesame Street, including this classic one with “the honkers.”
- His career was near to coming to an end. He had risky back surgery at the age of 25 and was unable to perform for 6 months as a result of severe scoliosis. The operation was successful, however, so he went on to perform in several concerts shortly after.
- He was a member of the quartet that performed at President Barack Obama’s inauguration in 2009. In 2011, he received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Obama.
- In 2014, he was the first to be given the Fred Rogers Legacy Award, which recognized his work on behalf of children with disabilities.
“This is perhaps the greatest honor I’ve ever received."
How Old Is Yo Yo MA?
He 66 years old
Yo Yo Ma Net Worth:
Net Worth in 2022: $30 million.
Yo Yo Ma Salary:
His salary estimated to be $833,333 per month.
Yo Yo Ma Height:
His height is 5 ft 10 in.
Is Yo Yo Ma Single?
No, Yo Yo Ma is married to his wife of over 30 years, Jill Hornor. Together they have two children.
Yo Yo Ma Achievements:
He has won 18 Grammy, and 23 other awards like Avery Fisher Prize, Praemium Imperiale, Doctor of Musical Arts (D.M.A.), Latin Grammy for Best Instrumental Album and many more.
Yo Yo Ma Social Media:
- His Twitter account is with the user name of Yo Yo Ma
- His Instagram account is with the user name of Yo Yo Ma
- His Facebook account is with the user name of Yo Yo Ma
Yo Yo Ma Hobbies:
Yo-Yo Ma is an accomplished cellist and a passionate advocate for arts education. He has said that he inherited his love of music from his parents, who were both musicians. In addition to playing the cello, Yo-Yo Ma enjoys hiking in the scenic areas near his home. He also likes spending time with his wife and two children.
Yo Yo Ma Education:
Yo-Yo Ma was born on October 7, 1955, in Paris, France. His father had been a cellist in the French National Orchestra before becoming a professor of economics at Harvard University. Ma began studying cello at the age of four with his father and made his public debut at age six. In 1963 he moved with his family to New York City and enrolled at the Julliard School. After two years he transferred to The Curtis Institute of Music in Philadelphia, where he studied with Leonard Rose. In 1976 Ma graduated from Columbia University with a bachelor’s degree in music. He then continued his studies at Harvard, where he earned a master’s degree in 1978 and a doctorate degree in 1982.
Yo Yo Ma Relationship Status:
Yo Yo Ma is married to his wife of over 30 years, Jill Hornor. Together they have two children. They first met when they were both students at the Juilliard School in New York City. Jill was studying dance while Yo Yo was studying music. After getting married, they moved to Paris so that Yo Yo could study with the great French cellist and pedagogue Jean-Pierre Rampal. While in Paris, their son Nicholas was born. A few years later, they moved back to the United States so that their daughter Emily could be born in their home country.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much money does Yo Yo Ma make a year?
Yo-Yo Ma makes between $5 million and $10 million per year, according to Celebrity Net Worth. That averages out to be around $833,333 per month (or $20,833 per day). Of course, this varies depending on how many performances he gives and how much money each performance brings in. But as one of the world’s most successful classical musicians, it’s safe to say Yo-Yo Ma is doing pretty well for himself.
How many cars does Yo Yo Ma have?
He was given the Rolls Royce by the company after he became their international artist in residence. He says that he loves to drive it himself, and enjoys taking it for a spin around the country roads near his home.
The Porsche is a newer addition to his car collection. He bought it as a gift for his wife Alison Krauss after they won their record-breaking 27th Grammy award together. She’s an avid racecar driver, so he thought it would be the perfect present!